Nutrition - The CrossFit Philosophy

By
CrossFit Chiltern
Nutrition - The CrossFit Philosophy

Many years ago CrossFit founder Greg Glassman came up with a simple sentence that sums up his belief on nutrition.

 ‘Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar” and “keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.’

It’s a really elegant way to describe what for most people is the ideal way to obtain and maintain healthy levels of body fat.

For me it describes what most people should be doing with their nutrition. That is eating protein and vegetables, nuts and seeds as the principle make up of your diet. This will provide all the protein, carbohydrates and fats most people will need in their diet without providing too much of an insulin response which can contribute towards body fat. ‘some fruit’ represents that fruit should make up some but not the majority of your diet. ‘Little starch’ is where most people make mistakes, too much potato, starchy vegetables, pasta, rice and bread generally will adversely affect insulin levels, this is even more the case when you have simple sugar in your diet. Put simply these starchy and sugary foods with push up your insulin levels and make it more likely for you to gain body fat and more difficult to shift it.

Then finally ‘keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.’ This is key to improving your body composition and also performance levels. We need to ensure we eat enough of the right foods to support our training but not enough to retain high levels of body fat. This is where food tracking comes into your nutrition programme. We can eat as healthy/clean as we like, but if our intake is too much our body composition won’t improve.

So if you’re looking for a simple way to think about eating that will last a lifetime this is it.

Is this my diet? Well I’d love to say I follow it religiously, but the truth is I do like sugar and alcohol. But what I make sure I do is that 80% of my diet follows these principles and the other 20% isn’t so far outside of it to make it significantly different. If and when I feel I need to lose fat all I do is take out the 20%

If you want more help with your nutrition we will be taking part in several challenges from January, plus I also offer 1:1 nutrition consultations that you can book via your Limitless Life app or by emailing me jeremy@crossfitchiltern.com

Continue Reading

pushpress gym management software for boutique gyms and fitness studios